The significance of effective communication technologies in today’s interconnected world cannot be overstated. These technologies have a crucial role in empowering organizations through effective communication, fostering connections, driving progress and facilitating a global presence and connectivity. Technologies such as voice over internet protocol (VoIP), VoIP phone over Wifi and Wifi calling have transformed the whole concept of communication no matter its personal or commercial level communication.
However, there are certain limitations as well. Not every mode of communication is good and suitable for everyone. It largely depends on usage and the purpose intonated. Of course the business phone system is different and requires optimal continuity and reliability. VoIP or Wifi calling both have their own specifications this guide will help you have a profound understanding of both technologies so you can choose the best suited option in future:
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
VoIP is a group of technologies with which users can make calls through internet connection. This technology converts data into small IP packets called codecs which are then transmitted over the internet. VoIP calls are not operator dependent. Furthermore, you do not need a sim card to make calls. However, you will need a stable wii connection or mobile data to have internet access and to make a call.
Wifi calling is somewhat the same as the conventional phone calls and offers the same features as well. The main difference is that Wifi calling establishes the connection through wireless internet connection. Typically, when we make a call, the connection is established through the mobile provider’s network. However, in case of Wifi calls, the calls are routed to Wifi instead of mobile network.
Simply put, the Wifi calling uses VoIP technology and thus it is often called VoWifi referring to voice over Wifi. This calling feature is enabled by your cellular mobile network provider.
Here is how Wifi calling works:
The mobile network provider enables the feature for voip over Wifi call. When you make a call with this feature enabled, your phone will automatically identify the strongest network available near you. It can be Wifi or even a mobile data network, given that it provides stable internet connection. The call will be routed through a mobile or Wifi network.
Usually, the mobile network providers do not charge additional fee for voip over Wifi calling. instead, they will deduce the Wifi call minutes from your monthly calling plan.
Difference between VoIP vs Wifi Calling
Both the communication technologies are closely related yet distinct.
- VoIP is data transmission over an IP based network.
- It requires a proper infrastructure such as server and routers provided by network provider
- One of key benefits is its flexibility that user can use any IP enabled device such as smartphone, desktop and laptop
- The cost and call quality may vary depending on various factors. For instance, call quality is dependent on network speed, reliability and network congestion
- Similarly, the cost also varies from one service provider to another. Furthermore, it depends on usage as well as subscription plan
Here is what makes Wifi calling distinct from VoIP:
- It is a specific feature, enabled by the mobile network provider on your smartphone. And it allows the user to make and receive calls over Wifi. The underlying principle is voip technology so it is also referred to as VoWifi.
- The infrastructure requirement is stable internet connection; be it Wifi or mobile data internet.
- Unlike VoIP, Wifi call is specifically a feature of smartphones or mobile only.
- Call quality is good given that internet connection is strong and reliable. However, it may be affected due to network area coverage.
- Lastly, the cost is not an issue here. This calling feature is more like a value added feature offered by mobile network providers.
Pros of VoIP calling
- User can make or receive calls with any internet connection
- Works with variety of devices; laptop, desk phone, smartphone
- Offers so many additional features that are not available with traditional landlines
- Flexibility, reliability and better call quality at cheaper rates compared to traditional phone system
Cons of VoIP calling
- The services affect in case of disruption in internet connection
- The technology is cloud based means it may be difficult to track your location in case of emergency
Pros of Wifi calling
- Requires minimal bandwidth consumption than the VoIP call
- User can make free calls using Wifi Network
- Ideal substitute for weak Cellular Service
- No additional subscriptions
- Also no need to download additional apps on your device
- No requirement of additional hardware or software
Cons of Wifi calling
- Call quality is affected in case of weak Wifi signals. This usually happens in crowded areas such as hotels, hospitals, airports etc, because of too many users.
- Some devices may not be compatible and do not have inbuilt feature
- This feature is only for mobile phones and lacks advanced features of VoIP
- Possible delay in data transfer due to weak connection
- Inability to make calls during international travel. And if roaming is enabled, charges are high.
- Additional charges of mobile data may incur in case of weak Wifi connection
VoIP vs Wifi calling – the better choice
Having a thorough understanding of both communication technologies is important for the users to make the right decision. Both VoIP and Wifi calling offer amazing features and call quality. However, there are certain limitations with both.
For instance, if you are based in a small area with poor network coverage, Wifi calling can be a good choice. However, you will still need a strong and stable connection with sufficient bandwidth to handle the traffic for Wifi VoIP. It will improve call quality and minimize latency.
VoIP, on the other hand, is an ideal choice for business communication as it offers various advanced features. It is flexible, accessible from various devices, works well for remote workers too and is cost-effective too for business needs.
In any case, quality of services is the prime importance. Whatever the communication technology you choose, make sure it aligns with your personalized needs. It must cater to your needs of unified communication while being reliable and affordable as well.
Read more about: Searching For Best VoIP Service UK?
Do I need VoIP if I have Wifi calling?
Both VoIP and Wifi calling are related yet distinct technologies. The underlying principle of Wifi calling is VoIP and that is why it is called VoIP over Wifi or VoWifi. VoIP offers some advanced features but there are some limitations too. It depends on the user’s usage and requirements which communication technology is a better choice.
What are the disadvantages of Wifi calling?
This feature is limited to mobile phones only, lacks advanced features, sometimes incur additional charges of mobile data and also call quality fluctuates in case of poor internet connection.
Is VoLTE the same as Wifi calling?
Voice over long-term evolution (VoLTE) is communication technology that allows users to make and receive calls over 4G networks. This is distinct from the Wifi calling that relies on the Wifi network for connectivity.
What is the main advantage of using VoIP?
VoIP offers various advanced features, offers more flexibility, is more reliable and affordable. These features are ideal especially for business users.
Can I use my mobile for VoIP?
You can use your mobile phone for both Wifi calls and VoIP calling. However, VoIP can be accessible and works well with other IP enabled devices too. but this flexibility is not possible with Wifi calls.